Friday, September 5, 2008

Simplicity


I've been here in what I like to refer to as Amish country for about a month now. I wasn't too sure how I would like the change from State College. You see, State College is like this mecca surrounded by nothing. There are a million and one things to do in State College but if you desire the country or the woods you could drive 10 minutes in any direction and you will be surrounded by majestic beauty coupled with solitude. That has to be one of my favorite things about State College.

I was driving to Weaver's Machine Shop the other day. BTW, everything around here seems to be called Weaver's! I was passing these Amish people on bikes and buggies left and right. On the buggies were father and son together. Mother and daughter were together on others as well. I began to look around at the tobacco and corn fields and I saw the same. Father and son, mother and daughter... It clicked into my mind that maybe, just maybe, they have it right.

In our crazy society we zoom around rushed to this and that never taking the time to enjoy ourselves or each other. These people don't seem too concerned about time. There are so many who ride bikes. I would think that they would want to be as efficiant as possible and get to their destination quickly. Yeah right! I have never seen such mellow riding in my life! There is no hurry, no rush. How did we get this way? How did we get into a place where mothers and daughters barely know each other and fathers and sons are driven apart, where we scamper to get out of church in order to go on a hike, go kayaking or watch a football game. I see a community that is held tightly together by unity. They work side by side. They grow side by side. They learn side by side.

Two things in American history sparked downfalls to where we are now. the first was the industrial revolution. Men were taken out of the family and thrown into the workplace. For the first time in our history the family unit was separated. Men no longer worked side by side in the fields with their sons. ...And it begun, the run, run, run mentality. It was solidified even further in the 60's by the civil rights movement. The Equal Pay Act ushered women into the workplace in waves. From there we see a total breakdown. Divorce rates and degeneration of our youth rise as mothers and fathers concentrate on careers and earning money instead of home.

Thinking about all this sparks a strong drive in me to want to simplify my life, to become more Amish. I don't want grow old only to grow apart from my family. How do I come to this place? How does life become simpler? Aside from converting and becoming Amish, I have no idea. I just sent an email to my employer complaining because I am being told I can't work the 60 hours a week that I want to work. Even there I get a twinge because my initial thought was to use the phrase "need to work" instead of "want to work".

More and more, I see that my world is just simply crazy and not simple at all in any aspect. I am finding that I am falling in love with this area and the slower pace it holds. Come and check it out sometime. The food is great (and cheap), the people are wonderful and it will remind you that life can be simple.

-Rando

No comments: