Monday, August 18, 2008

Moving

I'm gonna go on record saying that I HATE moving with a passion! I just moved halfway across the state to Ephrata, Pa. What a chore! What an expense! I can't believe how much it costs to move. Heck with the cost though. I miss my friends. Ya know, the sad thing is that I have a hard time utilizing my friends and support network. I feel selfish in that I use them when I need them. I don't put much effort into building those relationships due to my own issues of trust and such. They remain at arms reach and it really alienates me from them. I desire closeness but do everything I can to push them away in subtle ways. Most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it.

One of the things I have realized is that without community, I would be dead. I recently learned that the Californian Redwood tree, as large as they are, have very shallow rooting systems. They rely on the other Redwoods around them to keep them up, intertwining their rooting systems for strength. What an awesome analogy! Think about it... Would you be able to survive without the companionship of others? Some may argue that yes they could. I retort with the thought that they would be miserable. For a joyful life we need others to intertwine with, to draw strength from. I am so grateful that God has already started to give me new friends. I spent all day yesterday with a new friend. GG and I accompanied her down to Annapolis, MD to kayak on the Chesapeake Bay. We had a blast getting to know Anne and her adorable dog, Sampson. He was so cute as he stood erect at the bow of the kayak.

Ya know, moving does bite with the hassle of getting everything moved and getting settled into your new house but what doesn't bite is new friends, especially when it is God who ordains these friendships. I am excited about the possibility of making new friends. Pray that I would not push them away but draw them near.

Much Luv,
Rando

No comments: